Leading a Building is Like Hiking with a Group

In hopes to be transparent in the planning and preparation of the upcoming year, I wanted to connect with you all and share some of my thoughts. While we all may differ in beliefs, perspectives, experiences, and expectations, we all have one thing in common… we are educators wanting to do what’s best for kids.

Recently, I completed a 4-day, 3-night 39-mile hike through the Olympic National Forest. Despite the fact that I am overweight and miserable a large portion of the time, I still LOVE it! As I had time to reflect, I found that my experiences in education apply and relate to other experiences that connect us to the world.

This is what I learned:

Just because the leader is in front, it doesn’t mean they are the fastest, most aggressive, or experienced hiker. A leader’s role is to be mindful of the situation and those that are in the group. They typically set the pace and guide the direction, but if the leader is mindful of the followers, they will respond to those following as they influence the pace and where they are heading. Maybe the leaders aren’t the ones in front at all. Sometimes a leader can be in the back and it’s their role to support those trailblazing the way.

Educational Connection: Rarely do I take the fastest, most aggressive approach. I think we, at CHS, have great leaders and educators that are more experienced than me. I try to be mindful of our staff as a whole and what our teams are communicating. I believe I can serve the group by observing and setting the pace, as well as tend to things that you might not see, because you are busy teaching students! Even if you aren’t in a leadership position, your leadership is necessary in doing what’s best for kids. A lot of times, I feel we are “waiting” on district personnel or a school board to tell us the way. I want you to know that YOU are the leader and expert in your classroom. I am confident that each one of you knows what’s best for your students.

Leaders must know the measures necessary to support the group as they face obstacles. These measures need to be communicated in a way as to not interrupt the journey, cause fear, or uncertainty…. but in a way to maintain progress and enjoyment. There are some things to consider while on the trail. It may have steep/unstable cliffs, there are animals (like mountain goats, elk, BEARS), there is also poisonous plants that we need to be able to identify and avoid. The trail leader may have to reroute the trail due to fallen trees that block the path, or they may see rain coming and suggest they camp under the shelter of trees.

Educational Connection: Going into the 2020/21 school year, we are up against the most challenging time in all of our educational careers. We face obstacles we have not encountered, nor have the solutions for yet. As you are busy working with the students, planning and preparing for all their academic, social/emotional needs…. your focus isn’t on warding off danger! It’s admins job to anticipate and bring those obstacles and considerations to the team’s attention, and collaborate with solutions. We don’t know what parameters we face at this time. Many times throughout this experience, I have not always been in the “know” in regards to parameters, plans, or expectations of our district. However, I rely on us, as a team, to stay anchored to our core beliefs and practices as professionals. This should not fall to the wayside. I assure you, I will always try to be transparent about not knowing and continue to offer support in your efforts.

There are many considerations that impact the decisions a leader is required to make. What are the park guidelines, rules, and regulations? What is the skill set and/or health conditions of the team? The trail leader must be aware of the trail conditions, weather and monitor how the team is progressing. These considerations affect the pace, well-being, and ultimately the outcome of the hike. There are natural consequences and repercussions when these measures aren’t adhered to. It causes the group to feel uneasy, sometimes there are fines, it could have a negative impact on the environment or wildlife.

Educational Connection: This is an area where we are all struggling because the rules keep changing and there is a lack of effective protocols in communicating these guidelines. Again, if we stick to our core beliefs and best practices as educators, the nuances of the current times will take care of themselves. Please know that I am always trying to monitor where we are at in regards to safety and well-being of our students and staff. There are a lot of considerations when planning and implementing systems and I try to take in to account individual, building, district, and student needs.

Successful hikers look for opportunities to better themselves, as well as those in the group. I have never been on a hike where I came out of it in a bad mood. It is impossible. I feel rejuvenated, hopeful, and accomplished. I also feel confident I can take on all the other hikes I’ve been wanting to do as well. I’ve always appreciated when someone in the group remembers an item, shares a special skill, or takes on building the fire when my feet hurt. Just knowing there is a member in the group that can take over at any time, puts us all at ease.

Educational Connection:  Please lean on each other…. Take the opportunity to support others, as well as accept the support when it’s needed. Find a leadership partner! Take on tasks, collaborate with ideas, and reach out to one another to check in. We will all be vulnerable at different times and we all need to step in for the better of the group. Take advantage of learning opportunities and new strategies that can help us connect with our students. We may even find value in these ventured times and continue to implement as we get back to in-person. We will devote a lot of time to PD and your PLC’s for you to learn and grow with your peers.

The attitudes, flexibility, and energy of the group has a huge impact on the quality of the hike. The whole point of the hike for me is the journey…..being outdoors/breathing fresh air, clearing my head, listening to all the sounds of nature, seeing beautiful views, and uncharted territory. When someone complains, or places blame or doesn’t agree with the direction of the hike, it causes us to miss these enjoyments.

Educational Connection:  I will be the first to tell you that there isn’t anyone who is more “in the know” than the other. I don’t think I’ve been able to commit or move forward with anything since march, and have it work out as planned. Find comfort in knowing there will always be a way, we will always come through together, and find joy in the journey. You choose where you put your energy. It affects your peers, students, and those around you. Be mindful of the desired outcomes and your role in achieving them.

Published inQuality Principal Standards

Be First to Comment