I’m in love with 186 kids

I’m damn near 40 years old… but I’ve only fell in love a few times.  I grew up in a family that I love. Through my adolescent years I was supposed to love them, but I was hell bent on doing my own thing.  Eventually I grew to love each member of my family.   I fell in love with my wife of 20+ years ago beginning as a high school crush.  It developed into LOVE as the years have passed and my respect and admiration for her grew. I’m not only in love with her to this day, but I’ve learned to love her more everyday.  I have 3 boys… the very seconds they were born I had an unconditional LOVE for them. I’ve seen thousands of students of whom I have collectively grown a love for.

But, this is different…. I know on the surface, I talk about serving kids and I’m in education to impact students.  But… I’m in LOVE!  The kids in Taholah have family and friends all around them.  However, the culture of love and family is different than mine. We show love in different ways. Just as I had to learn the ways of my wife and what she needs to know I love her, I am doing my best to learn the ways of these students to address their needs as well. It takes time.

There is a set of foster kids whom I instantly connected with.  They told me their “story” the first time I met them.  AMAZING!  They are biological brothers, but have only been placed in the same home in recent yrs.  Prior to this, they lived in foster homes away from each other.  I starting playing chess with the younger brother, only to realize that both boys know how to play (well) might I add, because of weekly meetings as youth, where their case worker got the boys together to play chess.  Now, once a week, I pull the boys out of class to play chess. The older boy has aspirations to become a doctor.  He has staff members, myself and my wife included, that feel it’s our responsibility as educators to let him know what it takes to prepare him. We do our best to provide learning opportunities,  but the school we are at doesn’t offer advanced placement courses.  Nor do we have a system in place to track wether or not he is on “track”.  He is smart, goal oriented, and can do anything he wants. But, his life experiences and prior education make it more difficult for him than the “typical” 10th grader.  I’m in love with him because he asks us for books to read, schools to research, and courses he needs to take to achieve his goals.  Regardless of where my career takes me, I’m responsible for his endeavors. I’m in LOVE!

I’m in love with kids on the basketball teams.  As I’m sure you are aware, basketball on an indian reservation is KING!  Taholah is no exception! Everyone knows who the players are and EVERYONE goes to the games.  These kids want to win and go to the state tournaments.  I want it for them, but I know the schools they have to beat have great programs with consistent coaches, programs and systems. I’m an experienced coach who realistically knows what these players are up against. My kids are athletic, but lack quality basketball opportunities.  I’m in love with the idea that I can provide these opportunities to battle another poverty driven injustice.

These kids LOVE playing, and I love watching them. It’s the only time I’ve seen a few of them smile.   One girl, I would classify as an introvert, smiles for 32 minutes…. and I LOVE it!

Smoked salmon!  It’s no secret Mrs. Cleveringa and I love it, and nothing you buy in the grocery store compares to the smoked salmon we get in Taholah.  Mrs. Cleveringa has a girl in her class whose grandpa makes it in a traditional smoke house.  AWESOME!  We ran out the other day, and knowing that we had a Seahawk game or two to watch, Mrs. Cleveringa asked her for some…

“I need some more salmon, ask your grandpa how much he will charge me?”

A day later she returned to school and told us that her grandpa says, “you don’t have to pay, Its free”….  The very next school day, she reminded Melissa that she will bring salmon and that it would cost $10.

Melissa-“I thought you told me your grandpa said it was free!”

Student-“He did, But I want to go skating with the rec tomorrow… and I need $10”

I got my salmon, and she went skating!!!  LOVE

Coffee….. How can you get through a tough day without it.  Over Christmas, Mrs. Cleveringa received a yellow ( its her favorite color) Keurig.  She put the coffee maker in her classroom. The ensuing trip to Costco, we bought enough K-cups to last the remainder of the school yr. This past Friday I was walking down the middle school hallway to the gym. I could smell coffee, not an unusual smell, but in the afternoon… in the middle school wing….. It caught my attention.  Then I noticed a sign on the door, that I’ve not seen before!

Coffee $0.50…. Mrs. Cleveringa’s classroom….. 

Well, Mrs. Cleveringa wasn’t in her room that day as she was working on curriculum for the district.  So, I had to investigate.  Kids were surviving…. Selling MY coffee for $0.50 a cup.  At first I thought, “oh man, that’s not right”. But, then I thought how awesome it was they saw an opportunity, took ownership,  AND trusted in us to back them no matter what … LOVE.

I guess, when you live like Jesus and love like Jesus, you fall in LOVE!

Published inCelebrateListenReflectServe

2 Comments

1. Karen Egan

Hi Curtis! Love your post! How are things going? By your post, things sound well. Bluffdale has been asked to pilot the Alpine model during the 2016-17 school year. The district is looking at other ways to give parents a traditional schedule. Because teachers will teach an hour longer, it will give them an increase in pay by 12-15%. We miss you! I thought of you last night as I watched the game. Exciting!

• Curtis Cleveringa Curtis Cleveringa

Things are going well here! crazy busy, but its been a great opportunity… Go Hawks!!! Interesting decision for JSD… I’m curious how that goes! Keep up the good work there.. the community i lucky to have you