Take Note: Teachers Pin Your Ears Back and Listen.

I’m off track, without students, and have a little time to reflect.  Why are we falling short of the expectations? Why don’t we care about the students down the hall, another building, district-wide, state, and country? Why do only take responsibility for our own classroom instead of what’s best for all kids?  Why are we burned out? Why are we giving in to the pressures, tests, and stresses from outside our schools? Why do politicians and lawmakers know what’s best? Why are their voices louder than ours? You have a choice in your daily actions to address these questions. Teachers, listen up and take note.

TAKE NOTE:

First, it’s because of you I write these thoughts. I’m frustrated on behalf of all the great educators who are burned out and leaving the profession. I’m also frustrated for all of the principals who chase numbers, data, and percentages.  I want to tell you that until our voice is louder than that of the public and media, we will fall short of our goals. It’s time to stand up for our kids…right now! Help them find their voice!  I know greatness happens everyday in our schools. Yet, the only way our neighbors and polititions see it is if you share, celebrate,  and show off your talents. The time is now to give your students their voice. Lets celebrate! Teachers take note:

Because of you, I entered the greatest profession in the world.

Because of you, I have 3 boys who know how important education is.

Because of you, I stay late or go early. You are the motivation I need.

You are reading this because you care.  You didn’t enter education to become millionaires.  You are here because at the core of your beliefs you know that what you do everyday makes a difference. You are great, and our world is a better place because of you.

Learning happens every second of everyday in our schools.  Kids are not just numbers or tests scores. You know they are developing into difference makers themselves. You’ve taught your students to face adversity and you are there when adversity strikes. Teachers, it is your resilience in standing up for your students that I wish to serve.  This CAN DO attitude is a must. Seeing the good in every situation. This constant celebratory act motivates me to become the leader I need to be.  Teachers, it is your countless efforts on behalf of your students that I strive to serve.  I wish to serve those of you that sacrifice for the greater good.

For some, you might quit by throwing the hour or day away to negativity. Some of you might give in to the temptations of short-term gratifications. You might be giving into the gossip of the staff room.  Worrying about your placement for next year, the meetings you have to attend,  or who used too much paper damages our profession. Pleasing your own needs instead of showing up everyday asking, “what’s best for kids?” will also tarnish the public’s perception. For some, you give in to short-term pain instead of working for the long-term gain. I see some of you settling by choosing the easy way. I see you failing to see challenges as opportunities to work harder. What I need you to hear is that every time you take the easy way out, you are giving up on your core beliefs. You are teaching your students that mediocrity is OK. Teachers, I want you to TAKE NOTE.

As long as I am teaching next door or I’m assigned to be your leader, I’m not going to allow you to settle. We will be great. Our kids deserve it. Teachers, I will push you, I will challenge you, and I will be there to serve you.  You may not agree with everything I do or say, and that’s OK.  You can go and gossip, throw a tantrum, hang with the energy vampires. I don’t care! I will be here for you tomorrow. I will be here the next day to give you a fresh start. You are worth it and our kids deserve it. No more excuses.  No more blaming. No quitting. No more mediocrity.  Pack your lunchbox and lets do this. You and I are education reform!

Published inCelebrateTeaching and Learning

Be First to Comment